Friday, October 5, 2018

King Carlos - Hero of Heroes



One of the main motivations for me producing this blog is to help fill the internet with pictures that show off the creative genius that infuses 2000AD. The loss of Carlos Ezquerra this week is just about the greatest blow the comic could receive - he's been a mainstay of the Prog from the very beginning, and his worked has graced the interiors and covers every single one of 2000AD's 41 years, not to mention most of the Megazine's 28 years. I don't have any insights or analysis to add, just the hope that there's still some new work yet to hit the printers.

And, of course, a ton of pictures to show off the breadth and depth of Ezquerra's almighty brush, as channeled through 2000AD, StarLord and the Judge Dredd Megazine...































































































5 comments:

  1. I actually originally was a little turned off by his art at first. Sometimes the colours could be very garish and I would often skip some of his stories altogether.

    UNTIL I read this very blog and your article on him. I decided to go back and give it another shot and so read "The Pit". I was so wrong and happy to admit so.

    I'll forever regret not getting a commission from him. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a super-distinctive artist, which can be offputting.
    For me, I was drawn in initially by his black and white art on Strontium Dog, falling in love pretty instantly with the in-your-face poses, crazy mutant designs, and unparalleled action storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did Durham Red (At least it looks like Red) face the vampires of Fiends of the Eastern Front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judge Dredd Megazine volume 4 no 17 (2002) in 'The Scarlet Apocrypha'.

      Delete